NOTICE OF INTENT TO APPLY FOR FEDERAL FUNDS
In March, the American Rescue Plan (ARP) was signed into law and includes $122 billion in Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) funds for school districts across the country. The purpose of ESSER, in general, is to award subgrants to local educational agencies to address the impact that COVID-19 has had, and continues to have, on elementary and secondary schools.
Van ISD intends to apply for these federal funds appropriated to the State of Texas for public education purposes through the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSA) and The American Rescue Plan (ARP) Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief II & III (ESSER II & III) Funds and is seeking input from stakeholders on how to allocate these resources within our district. Our administrative team will be holding planning meetings with various departments and stakeholders to assess the needs of the district and is seeking your input about where to allocate these resources. Please share your opinion with us by clicking here to complete a brief survey.
VAN ISD’S SHARE OF FUNDS:
- VAN ISD ESSER II FUNDS: $1,682,474
- The intent and purpose of the CRRSA Act of 2021, ESSER II funding is to prevent, prepare for, or respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, including its impact on the social, emotional, mental health, and academic needs of students.
- VAN ISD ESSER III FUNDS: $3,778,598
- The intent and purpose of ARP of 2021, ESSER III funding is to help safely reopen and sustain the safe operation of schools and address the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on students.
These funds are designated for one-time or short-term expenditures to address the impact of the pandemic. All funds must be used by September 30, 2023. For more information, contact Richard Pride, Deputy Director of Special Programs, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- VAN ISD ESSER II FUNDS: $1,682,474
SAFE RETURN TO IN-PERSON INSTRUCTION & CONTINUITY OF SERVICES PLAN
Van ISD will be applying for CRRSA, ESSER II and ARP, ESSER III funding. The purpose of ESSER II is to prevent, prepare for or respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. The purpose of ESSER III is to help safely reopen and sustain the safe operation of schools and address the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on students. The plan that follows is a draft intended to outline Van ISDs planned safety measures for the 2021-2022 school year while continuing to provide an excellent educational experience.
MAINTAINING HEALTH AND SAFETY
To reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission, Van ISD plans the following mitigation strategies for the 2021-2022 school year:
- The optional wearing of masks
- The use of assigned seating when appropriate
- Proper handwashing encouraged
- Hand sanitizer available
- Targeted cleaning as appropriate
- Positive cases will be reported to the local health department (NETHealth)
- Local vaccination sites/providers available on our website
- Appropriate accommodations for students with disabilities as identified in the student’s Individualized Education Plan
ENSURING CONTINUITY OF SERVICES
Van ISD will continue to take appropriate actions to ensure continuity of services to students. These actions will focus on addressing students' academic, social, emotional, and mental health needs. Proposed plans to provide a continuity of services are as follows:
- Increase Response to Intervention Staff
- Professional Development for Educators
- Chromebooks and Interactive Flat Panels
- Summer School
- Behavioral Support Staff
- Instructional Materials
- STEAM Remediation Plan
- Increased Counseling
*See VISD's Use of ESSER III Funds Plan below or by clicking here for complete details.
OPPORTUNITY FOR PUBLIC COMMENT
During the development of the plan, student data-informed input from staff and community members throughout the district in the form of a comprehensive needs assessment. Needs were prioritized based on wellness and instructional continuity. Staff and community surveys were administered. All feedback was considered in revising the draft plan. The plan was presented to the public via website communication and the plan will be presented to the Board of Trustees on August 16th.
PERIODIC REVIEW AND REVISION OF PLAN
During the period in which ESSER IIII funds are available, Van ISD will review and revise the plan at least every six months. These revisions will take into account parent and community feedback, as well as updated guidance from the Texas Education Agency.
Van ISD has taken the following steps to ensure the availability of the plan to families and the community:
- This draft plan is posted on the district website (www.vanisd.org/ESSER)
- This plan may be translated into other languages for our ESL population through our website provider.
- This plan may be translated orally by request. Please contact Van ISD Technology services at 903.963.8320.
- A parent who is an individual with a disability as defined by the ADA may request the plan in an alternative format. Please contact Van ISD Special Programs at 903.963.8712.